Friday, December 12, 2008

Home & Exhausted

Well, Amelia pulled thru last night like a trooper and we were released at noon today. Our perky nurse Jessica pushed things right along and we were out of there. She'll be on 2 heavy duty antibiotics for 10 days -- one for bacterial pneumonia and one for aspiration pneumonia, as we're not sure which one she has and lots of breathing treatments.

No one likes to be in the hospital, but for a Mom of a medically fragile special needs kid, as far as supplies go -- it's kind of like Disneyworld. Stay with me here. When we're home, I spend tons of time each day keeping syringes, extensions, venting tubes and bedding clean with vineager and water/soap, etc. At the hospital, I'm constantly amazed at at the blase' attitude nurses and doctors have about equipment and supplies. Everything gets thrown out -- even if it's just opened and not even used. And nurses are usually all too happy to share the wealth. I felt like a kid in a candy store as we were leaving and Jessica asked "is there anything else I can get you?" I said "We-e-e-e-l-l-l-l..." I know I sound like a kook -- but I brought home tons of syringes, new bulb syringes, vials of sterilized water (great for giving flushes -- for the GT -- while travelling), etc.

When we got home I put Amelia on the playmat and I am telling you, if she had a jet pack -- she would have rocketed to the moon. She was on fire. Into everything and crawling all over the place. We were so relieved to see her playing. Her teacher, Carol came by to do a therapy session -- not expecting much, and couldn't believe how attentive and motivated Amelia was to play. She stopped at 45 minutes becasue Amelia was clearly losing steam. But man oh man, if you had seen her two days ago, you wouldn't have believed that she would have been able to sit and play with toys today.

Anyway, we're all unpacked and settled. I haven't really slept in about 5 days, so I'm enjoying a vodaka beverage that my husband concocted for me. Sleep tight all!


laila said...

Yeah I'm so glad to hear Amelia is home!!! OMG I can't believe she got so sick, poor baby with the IV pokes I have definitly been there with Hannah and its the worst thing ever! Thats so increadible about her crawling and progress WTG I'm so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S.We want more pictures lady;0)xoxoxoxoxox

Jodi Cutler Del Dottore said...

Definitely, more pix. YOU have weathered the storm and Amelia is one resilient Little Debbie:). Wouldn't mind a shot of vodka myself after reading about your five hellish days. There is nothing worse than a sick baby with special needs.

I remember twenty-five days after Jordan was diagnosed as Deaf, he had his first asthma attack. We rushed him to the pediatric emergency room and I had to spend the night. You can't imagine the hospital-I was used to luxurious US hospitals and I swear I felt like I was in one of those Vietnam hospitals you see on films like Born on the Fourth of July. Scared shitless listening to Jordan not breathe and alone, not knowing how to speak the language---terrified. Now, give me an asthma attack and let me at it. We learn through experience, and every experience comes with a new language.

Apparently, you have learned Amelia's language. Debbie, don't know if you realize this, although judging by the tone in your post, you do, but how you were able to handle this situation compared to the last one, I'm sure is completely different. I am 100% sure that your confidence in dealing with all of this has been absorbed by Amelia and THAT is why she has been able to recuperate so quickly. YOU are one strong bitch. Hugs, Jodi

Shauna said...

LOL! I always ask for syringes, sterile water, pulse-ox sensors, oxygen cannulas, mic-key extensions, and random things like those little single-use thermometers and chux pads. I always have to ask for an extra bag when we leave!

ady said...

That is so funny....I always take everything out of the room that I can get my hands on, too! But I haven't been brave enough to ask for more stuff yet; I think I'll have to try it next time!!! Sorry that your little lady was sick; sounds like everyone had a rough December!!